Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Post a Random Thought

Blog Entries

Ah, sleep. The wind and rain passed, no big thunks on the roof. Tired of tv, googled out.

A book!

and it's only November

Blog Entries

Default The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

The two most current threads displayed in the foyer (The Forum & Troublemakers) are JJJ posts.

Comparison is the thief of joy.
    "Sometimes a stick in the eye is a tool for enlightenment, but mostly not." Manfred Minsk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by earlnemo View Post
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing
    The two most current threads displayed in the foyer (The Forum & Troublemakers) are JJJ posts.
    In this case, doing nothing is the best response. Or maybe posting in other threads so those get shoved down the page.
    sudo open the pod bay doors, HAL.

Q. "Does anybody really know what time it is?"

A. "25 or 6 to 4."
    Sun sets, night falls, sun shines, day calls, work fine, rest deep, rejoice, prayers keep

Whoa, yes, they call her the Shriek
    Yippy yap, yippy yap
    Loudest thing on four feet
    Yippy yap, yippy yap
    She's just as loud as she can be
    With her abilities
    She goin' make us all freak

Oh, yes, they call her the Shriek
    Yippy yap, yippy yap
    Loudest thing on four feet
    She likes to show off her technique
    Yippy yap, yippy yap
    If there's an audience to be found
    She'll be shriekin' out loud
    Invitin' you to say "Eek!"
    Last edited by SnM; 11-21-2013 at 10:34 AM.
    Sun sets, night falls, sun shines, day calls, work fine, rest deep, rejoice, prayers keep

Looking through the old notebooks, came across an early iteration of an exchange that eventually made it into Snark Bites, albeit in much altered and abbreviated form:

Knox County Commission today held a forum in which they invited economic expert B to advise on the impact of the proposed Midway Business Park in East Knox County. Chamber dude opened the proceedings with a plea to vote in favor of developing the park.

"If we don't act, we'll be creating a Frankenstein's monster of an economic growth problem," Chamber dude said. "But the Midway park is the silver bullet that can slay that monster."

"But you don't need a silver bullet to kill frankenstein," economist b pointed out

"You don't?" said chamber

"No, brute force, electricity, fire - any of those will do," B said. "But, regarding the Midway Park development-"

"Who needs a silver bullet?" asked Commissioner x.

"Dracula," Commissioner c interjected . "Silver bullets are for vampires, right?"

"No, werewolves," economist B corrected. "Stakes are for vampires. About Midway-"

"I thought garlic was for vampires," chamber said

"Yes, vampires take garlic and stakes," said B.

"So vampires are gourmands?" asked x.

"No, no, 'stake,' you know, wooden stick, pointy end?" B explained.

"Flavored with garlic?" said x, baffled.

"I'm starting to think somebody's brains should be flavored with garlic and served with a nice Chianti," Commissioner y muttered.

"Hey, you take that back!" protested x.

"Let's get back to the point," Commissioner y said.

"The stake's point?" x asked.

"Good grief, no, the point of the discussion," B growled.

Oh, sorry, what was our point?" said x.

"That silver bullets are for werewolves?" Commissioner d said tentatively.

"NO!" B exclaimed. "That Midway is a silver bullet for an economic growth problem was our topic."

"So...you're saying if it takes a silver bullet...instead of brute force, electricity, fire or garlic-flavored pointy sticks to slay an economic growth problem...and if Midway is a silver bullet...then...economic growth is...more like a werewolf than a vampire or a Frankenstein?" reasoned Commissioner f.

"No, I mean hyped-up fears of stifled economic growth if Midway isn't built is more of a chimera," B replied.

"What's that?" asked f.

"A mythical beast," sighed B.

"Like a unicorn or the abominable snowman?" said f.

"Yes, like a unicorn or the abominable snowman."

"What does Midway need to be to kill the unicorn of stifled economic growth?" asked x.

"What I meant-"

"Will it be harder to kill if it's the abominable snowman of economic growth?"

B counted silently to 10. Then he said, "What I meant was, stifled economic growth because of not developing Midway is a mythical beast like a chimera or a unicorn or the abominable snowman ...or like a dragon. And you are like the brave knights of the Round Table who must slay the dragon - or if you're a Monty Python fan, the brave knights who must face the Killer Bunny of the Cave of Caerbannog."

"But our table isn't round..." protested somebody.

"That's OK, you're brave knights, you'll overcome that shortcoming," B reassured. "Now, as brave knights, you must decide how your going to slay the dragon of stifled economic development."

"Can we use the silver bullet of Midway Park to slay the dragon or kill the killer bunny of the Cave of Quar- of Care- of Kia- ...to kill the wabbit?"

"No, silver bullets don't work on dragons or dynamite bunnies," B answered, backing away.

"Won't you tell us what does?"

"I can't; but you're knights; you will find the solution," he said, inching toward the door.

"But we need help!" pleaded g.

"Yes, yes, you do, just not the kind I can give," B said opening the door behind his back.

I've had success as a failed writer.

Blog Entries

Toothache awakened, not that i really slept. Advil, cafine, nicotine and wood-smoke, just a whiff. Stage II proviso for two-stoke smoke with occasional mists of bar oil (low sling).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SnM View Post
    I've had success as a failed writer.
    Success is over-rated. The Couch doesn't need another James Patterson.