Page 182 of 182 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 1820

Thread: You might be a Knox Countian if...

Updated update: Some KNS site stories inaccessible again.

Quote Originally Posted by SnM View Post
    Update: At the moment, the Daily Dependent Media & Unfree Press, Candidly, Haslam's Newspaper, seems accessible again.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnM View Post
    Right now, KNS subscribers can't read the stories on the site. RNeal over at KnoxViews sez their paywall is broken, but presumably, they're working on it.

KNS, true to form, don't say nuthin'.

The content is barely worth the cost when accessible; clearly it ain't worth it if it ain't. And who knows, maybe if you unsubscribe, you'll have access to the Website stories again.

But if you don't cancel your subscription over this latest waste - does your account get credited for the hours you were unable to use the Website?

As with cable, internet, and pretty much everything else, the guess is not.

And anyway, one has to assume that Publisher Patrick Birmingham's boss, Jimmy Haslam, really doesn't give a fig whether subscribers get what they pay for - as long the Haslams get what they've paid for.
    Last edited by SnM; 07-30-2014 at 04:09 PM.
    Snark Bites - Knoxville's alternative reality news source
    Sun sets, night falls, sun shines, day calls, work fine, rest deep, rejoice, prayers keep

There is back story on this that nobody's telling here.
    This should say 'Community group renews request that MPC head Mark Donaldson be fired.' The same basic group has demanded his removal before, although its numbers are growing. I believe that Bin was on MPC the last go-round. And it goes back way before that, even.

Donaldson's friend and mentor Dave Hill is despised by many of these folks because of his last minute sneaky-pete revisions on the county stormwater regulations, which had been the subject of public meetings and huge fights between competing interests for months and months – literally dozens of meetings. He took a draft copy of the agreed-upon regulations that had been produced for public scrutiny and comment over to the Knoxville Homebuilders' at 7 a.m. the morning of the County Commission meeting where it was to be voted upon, and allowed the homebuilders to revise it to their liking. He then had copies of the altered version delivered to commission after it was already in session– literally still hot to the touch from copy machine overload.
    It was not shocking that Madeline canned him.
    and it is not shocking that these folks would take another whack at Donaldson.

(NOTE: The stormwater episode happened not long before Bill Haslam hired Hill away from MPC, which hired his BFF Donaldson as his replacement. Madeline canned Hill soon after taking office.)
    Last edited by Bbeanster; 07-30-2014 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bbeanster View Post
    This should say 'Community group renews request that MPC head Mark Donaldson be fired.' The same basic group has demanded his removal before, although its numbers are growing. I believe that Bin was on MPC the last go-round. And it goes back way before that, even.

Donaldson's friend and mentor Dave Hill is despised by many of these folks because of his last minute sneaky-pete revisions on the county stormwater regulations, which had been the subject of public meetings and huge fights between competing interests for months and months – literally dozens of meetings. He took a draft copy of the agreed-upon regulations that had been produced for public scrutiny and comment over to the Knoxville Homebuilders' at 7 a.m. the morning of the County Commission meeting where it was to be voted upon, and allowed the homebuilders to revise it to their liking. He then had copies of the altered version delivered to commission after it was already in session– literally still hot to the touch from copy machine overload.

(NOTE: The stormwater episode happened not long before Bill Haslam hired Hill away from MPC, which hired his BFF Donaldson as his replacement. Madeline canned Hill soon after taking office.)
    I should keep quiet, but yes, I was on MPC in 2009 when these folks first went after Mark Donaldson. And like Bean, I keep pretty close watch on MPC and local government, so I have opinions about this whole thing (which I can't express here).

I will say that Mark should get great credit for Hillside/Ridgetop (along with Tony Norman) and that Dave Hill ran an excellent planning process for the south waterfront when he was with the City. Getting community buy in on that from a community very much inclined to distrust the City about anything (and there's a back story to THAT too, which I won't go into here) was a pretty amazing accomplishment. The professional credentials of these guys shouldn't be questioned (that does NOT mean that one can't question the way they do their jobs).

I will add that I really don't like the way this whole thing is being approached. I trust that the MPC executive committee will handle it with dignity.

And with that, I'm out of this discussion. Said too much already.
    Last edited by binR Bishop; 07-30-2014 at 08:03 PM.
    If you are pissed at a dog for keeping you awake with its barking, it's not because you disagree with what it's saying. -- Rikki

In my blog post - which is only a blog post and not an in-depth story - I mention that it's the same group involved as 2009. But none of the 2009 letters - at least, those contained in the binder I got - specifically call for Donaldson to be canned. If I can figure out a way to get the binder into PDF format without too much work by our design staff - swamped with this whole new website stuff - then I'll post that too. And I'm not the only reporter who got one of these - at least, that's my understanding of it - so maybe someone else will get to it before I can.

The complaints weren't as strident back then, iirc, but I note it's Bletner saying they didn't want Donaldson fired back then, and Jim's far less inclined to go the the jugular than some of his colleagues. My recollection is different from his.
    I feel safe saying that other members of that group (many of whom are friends of mine) wanted Donaldson's head back then.

Bin didn't touch on the bastardized stormwater agreement, but trust me, most of the folks who have signed this demand remember it.

Looks to me like the executive committee already dropped the ball re Hill's hiring, especially if the highest ranking woman on staff was let go to free up money for Hill's bloated salary.

And give the devil his due: Victor Ashe broke this story.

I feel safe saying that other members of that group (many of whom are friends of mine) wanted Donaldson's head back then.
    I concur.

Bin didn't touch on the bastardized stormwater agreement, but trust me, most of the folks who have signed this demand remember it.
    No, and I won't. I've said too much already.

I just regret that this whole thing is beginning to play out more like a tabloid scandal than like grownups addressing concerns with government.

BTW, does anybody else find it at least slightly amusing that binders are back in vogue?
    Last edited by binR Bishop; 07-30-2014 at 08:27 PM.
    If you are pissed at a dog for keeping you awake with its barking, it's not because you disagree with what it's saying. -- Rikki

Scripps is merging with Journal Communications. Former keeps tv stations of both, latter gets all the newspapers. No, no one here knows anything about what any of this means for KNS/MP/Shopper at this point.

Scripps release:
    http://www.scripps.com/press/details?id=1357

Journal release:
    http://jimromenesko.com/2014/07/30/j...rs/#more-72978

Edited to add: I mean, maybe KNS higher ups know some stuff, but at this point, this is all we staff know.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cwg View Post
    Scripps is merging with Journal Communications. Former keeps tv stations of both, latter gets all the newspapers. No, no one here knows anything about what any of this means for KNS/MP/Shopper at this point.
    The newspaper pensions are staying with Scripps. The next move in the standard playbook is another spin-off down the road that creates an exciting new company consisting of some underperforming stations and that retirement obligation (for employees that don't work for them anymore, so who cares). Regretfully, that business will fail to exceed expectations and a bunch of liability will evaporate into thin air.
    sudo open the pod bay doors, HAL.