Page 233 of 233 FirstFirst ... 133183223231232233
Results 2,321 to 2,324 of 2324

Thread: You might be a Knox Countian if...

  1. #2321

    Default

    Now there's a "rebuttal" that's a clear invitation to the media to stick their noses where the sun don't shine.

    Sunshine week, E911 and the Sheriff’s rebuttal to an editorial

    See also

    http://www.screamsfromtheporch.com/2...a-critics.html
    Sun sets, night falls, sun shines, day calls, work fine, rest deep, rejoice, prayers keep

  2. #2322

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SnM View Post
    Now there's a "rebuttal" that's a clear invitation to the media to stick their noses where the sun don't shine.

    Sunshine week, E911 and the Sheriff’s rebuttal to an editorial

    See also

    http://www.screamsfromtheporch.com/2...a-critics.html
    Also see this column by Betty Bean.

    http://shoppernewsnow.com/betty-bean...-come-on-down/

    ...Last week’s meeting was supposed to break the stalemate, but the board decided instead to have the user committee look into signing up with Tennessee Valley Radio Systems, a regional radio system used by multiple counties and municipalities.

    Whatever the outcome of the internecine battle between the top cops who clearly want Motorola and the bean counters who want the process honored, Jones’ invocation of Chancellor Pridemore’s name may have the most serious implications of anything discussed that morning.

    In 2007, Pridemore’s predecessor, Daryl Fansler (a Democrat), removed 12 county commissioners after a jury ruled that they had violated the state’s Open Meetings law during the notorious Black Wednesday meeting. He also put down an order informing them that he would take a dim view of future violations. Since that time, county law directors have taken Fansler at his word and held the elected officials to a strict standard of conduct.

    Too strict, say some say, and Jones – who has been twice re-elected to sheriff since he was appointed by a bunch of soon-to-be-ousted Black Wednesday county commissioners – is among them. Jones is term-limited and cannot run again.

    Fansler was defeated for re-election last summer by Pridemore, a barely qualified and inexperienced lawyer who had little going for him but the R behind his name. These dots are not hard to connect.


    I fear my obliquity prevents me from connecting the dots. Does it mean that if the ruling is revisited, Pridemore, owing his position not to his meager capabilities but only to the courage of his (GOP) connections, will likely reverse or loosen it?
    Sun sets, night falls, sun shines, day calls, work fine, rest deep, rejoice, prayers keep

  3. #2323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SnM View Post
    Also see this column by Betty Bean.

    http://shoppernewsnow.com/betty-bean...-come-on-down/

    ...Last week’s meeting was supposed to break the stalemate, but the board decided instead to have the user committee look into signing up with Tennessee Valley Radio Systems, a regional radio system used by multiple counties and municipalities.

    Whatever the outcome of the internecine battle between the top cops who clearly want Motorola and the bean counters who want the process honored, Jones’ invocation of Chancellor Pridemore’s name may have the most serious implications of anything discussed that morning.

    In 2007, Pridemore’s predecessor, Daryl Fansler (a Democrat), removed 12 county commissioners after a jury ruled that they had violated the state’s Open Meetings law during the notorious Black Wednesday meeting. He also put down an order informing them that he would take a dim view of future violations. Since that time, county law directors have taken Fansler at his word and held the elected officials to a strict standard of conduct.

    Too strict, say some say, and Jones – who has been twice re-elected to sheriff since he was appointed by a bunch of soon-to-be-ousted Black Wednesday county commissioners – is among them. Jones is term-limited and cannot run again.

    Fansler was defeated for re-election last summer by Pridemore, a barely qualified and inexperienced lawyer who had little going for him but the R behind his name. These dots are not hard to connect.


    I fear my obliquity prevents me from connecting the dots. Does it mean that if the ruling is revisited, Pridemore, owing his position not to his meager capabilities but only to the courage of his (GOP) connections, will likely reverse or loosen it?
    Fansler's ruling can't be revisited now, especially by Pridemore. The jury rendered its verdict and Fansler issued his order. The county accepted both and did not appeal to the state Court of Appeals, which would have been their only recourse if they had wanted to overturn the jury's verdict or Fansler's order. You can't appeal a trial judge's ruling to another trial judge. The system just doesn't work that way. You can only go up the ladder, and you only have a certain amount of time to start climbing. It's been seven-plus years. The case is closed.

  4. #2324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Barker View Post
    Fansler's ruling can't be revisited now, especially by Pridemore. The jury rendered its verdict and Fansler issued his order. The county accepted both and did not appeal to the state Court of Appeals, which would have been their only recourse if they had wanted to overturn the jury's verdict or Fansler's order. You can't appeal a trial judge's ruling to another trial judge. The system just doesn't work that way. You can only go up the ladder, and you only have a certain amount of time to start climbing. It's been seven-plus years. The case is closed.
    Thanks.
    Sun sets, night falls, sun shines, day calls, work fine, rest deep, rejoice, prayers keep

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •