Page 224 of 224 FirstFirst ... 124174214222223224
Results 2,231 to 2,237 of 2237

Thread: You might be a Knox Countian if...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
    I know over at Knoxviews it's an article of faith that if the TDP nominated a "real" (i.e. Progressive) Democrat for governor, such person would sweep to victory and a golden age of progressivism would blossom in Tennessee. These people seem to me to live in some alternative bizarro world reality. They don't live in the same state I live in. But I suppose people shouldn't be denied their illusions.
    You are so full of shit it hurts. The criticism of the "same state I live in" at Knoxviews is pretty consistent: It's fucked and will remain fucked until people have the modern equivalent of Walker Percy taking their collective pictures for the rest of the world to gawk at.
    Toby is a species. -- Rikki

Quote Originally Posted by binR Bishop View Post
    Oh, just shut up. I'm commenting on local stuff WAY less than I used to. If I pop up occasionally, live with it. My occasional presence can't be any more annoying than your constant negativity.
    Doesn't annoy me, but it sure seems to get a badger up your butt that your strident insistence that you won't do this anymore is the subject of mild mocking. You could just acknowledge that you were shortsighted to make the gesture and lacked will-power to maintain such a vow, as has been previously suggested:

Quote Originally Posted by SnM View Post
    Apparently not OK, then.

You recently made a pronouncement about not commenting on local issues. Years ago, you made similar rumblings several times about never responding to nine.

You didn't abide by the former, and you are not following the latter. These were not imposed on you, you declared them.

You need to understand: You have still some standing as an informed and intelligent commentator on the various government entities here, but every time you violate your own ruling, you erode that standing and play into the hands of nine and his allies (and Bean too) over at KV.

My advice, which you won't take, is to not make announcements about how you're not going to comment on this or that or not to respond to him or her. And, in this case, you should just acknowledge that you were wrong to say you won't comment on local matters, because you will, and instead say that you will comment as you see fit but won't feel obligated to respond to stupidity or meanness (which you shouldn't feel obligated to), or better yet, not even worry about that, just say what you want when you want with no tit for tat. You don't have to respond.

You don't have to, you know, as you won't to this post. But you need to recognize your own foot-shooting. So there you go.
    But again, you won't.
    Sun sets, night falls, sun shines, day calls, work fine, rest deep, rejoice, prayers keep

Quote Originally Posted by binR Bishop View Post
    It looks to me like pretty every other local election, in which the Haslam family contributes a boatload of money to whomever they're supporting. And sometimes to both sides.
    And since you chose to get all hissy fitish at someone trying to help you stay off the local issues addiction, I'll just go ahead and encourage your vice: If this is just like every other local election, when was the last time Haslam and Friends, a Hanna-Barbera Production, dropped that much green in a school board race?
    Sun sets, night falls, sun shines, day calls, work fine, rest deep, rejoice, prayers keep

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post
    You are so full of shit it hurts. The criticism of the "same state I live in" at Knoxviews is pretty consistent: It's fucked and will remain fucked until people have the modern equivalent of Walker Percy taking their collective pictures for the rest of the world to gawk at.
    Stay classy!

I mean seriously. Disagree all you like, but I do wonder if you are psychologically capable of taking issue with a post without resorting to personal invective and profanity. You're smarter than that.

Perhaps the whole "golden era of progressivism" was a bit over the top, but it has been a running theme at Knoxviews that the problem with the TDP is that it isn't progressive enough. I've been around real politics - you know, the kind where you actually get out and run and win elections instead of just talking about it over beers - to know that such thinking is deluded. But soldier on. The problem with the TDP is the national DP. Exhibit A: Al Gore, who when he ran for congress and senate was what we today would call a blue dog. When he started having national aspirations he flipped his policies leftward to match the he national Party's policy positions and then couldn't carry his own state in a Presidential election. Exhibit B, just recently, Daryl Fansler, who was tearing his hair out because during his tough and ultimately unsuccessful bid for re election the local Party decided to bring in a big time abortion rights advocate as a speaker and invited him to attend. However one views that issue, I can tell you he did not find that helpful.

Ideological purity feels good to activists, but it doesn't win elections. Ask Allison Grimes and Michelle Nunn, and hell, all the rest of the Ds who are running for senate in red states and running away from Obama and the national DP as fast as they can.
    Last edited by Johnny Ringo; 10-24-2014 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post
    Though I'm sure Walker Percy was capable of taking nice photographs when he wasn't writing novels, I believe you meant to refer to Walker Evans.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Barker View Post
    Though I'm sure Walker Percy was capable of taking nice photographs when he wasn't writing novels, I believe you meant to refer to Walker Evans.
    And if Izaak Walton had invented gravity instead of wasting all his time fishing we'd be eating Fig Waltons.
    sudo open the pod bay doors, HAL.

There is arrogance. Then there is Knox County.

Knox clerk kept judge lawsuit file in her office

Knox County Circuit Court Clerk Cathy Shanks has kept in her office out of the regular filing system and away from public view the file on a lawsuit against a judge she serves from the day it was filed nearly two months ago...

Judith Moore-Pennoyer, 60, is suing Ailor after he fired her Aug. 26 five days before he legally took office. Ailor defeated longtime Circuit Court Judge Harold Wimberly Jr. in the August election. His tenure did not begin until Sept. 1...

Asked why Shanks would keep in her office a file she herself conceded in her motion should not be in her care at all, Kenner said he could not comment on that issue because the motion is still pending...