Page 226 of 226 FirstFirst ... 126176216224225226
Results 2,251 to 2,256 of 2256

Thread: You might be a Knox Countian if...

Quote Originally Posted by bird jam View Post
    Interesting. I had never heard it before that story.
    Well, it's mostly used by people in the business. Most people use "ashes," though the cremains are not ash.

Poll: Amendment 1 abortion vote 'too close to call'

A poll released by Middle Tennessee State University on Wednesday found that 39 percent of the 600 registered Tennessee voters support Amendment 1, which would grant to power to state lawmakers to set restrictions over abortions.

Thirty-two percent said they opposed the measure, while 15 percent are still undecided. Eight percent of respondents said they won't vote and 6 percent did not answer.

The poll has a margin of error of 4 percentage points...

If you don't think the (mostly male) GOP SuperMajority! in the TN General Assembly should be allowed to decide what TN women can or cannot do with their bodies, vote today or on Tuesday against Amendment 1 and for some candidate in the governor's race.
    Sun sets, night falls, sun shines, day calls, work fine, rest deep, rejoice, prayers keep

What the hell? Two weeks ago, Metro Pulse is murdered, now this? Is there some nefarious Haslamic plot to destroy all remaining sources of decent journalism in Knoxville?

Longtime WATE news anchor Gene Patterson is leaving the station

Sun sets, night falls, sun shines, day calls, work fine, rest deep, rejoice, prayers keep

As much as I think School Supes McIntyre is destroying the communal fabric of schools, the Porch Screamer makes the latest records imbroglio between McIntyre and Burchett sound like miscommunication in the simple form of Jimmy speaking Technocrati and Timmy speaking 'Murican.

Board of Ed vice chair Harris says he's turned over school records to mayor; provides them to the Porch

But I also see this as thrifty, homespun populist Burchett teeing off on the patrician set. 'Cause this community body (or bawdy) politic has often suffered civil strife if not outright civil war, main antagonists (such as I recall, and plenty more who were also involved that would make this post too complicated) in the previous two decades being first Knoxville Mayor Victor Ashe and then county mayor Mike Ragsdale versus county sheriff Tim Hutchison.

Before that, I wasn't paying much attention, but obviously with the push for metro government and term limits, there were issues. From Wheeler and McDonald's book on Knoxville (up to the World's Fair when I read it), and from their seminars and other readings I know there was friction from some with the Butchers, and before that Cas Walker had his conflicts with the silk stocking crowd (and I don't remember at all what Knoxville Mayor Duncan the First was doing, when he was doing what he did). But I don't recall the players, the alignments or the issues. Or when the divisions started or from what they originated.

Or was there an origin? Was it ever thus?

I think it's just Wheeler's book now, but I should probably find a copy.
    Last edited by SnM; 10-30-2014 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SnM View Post
    I think it's just Wheeler's book now, but I should probably find a copy.
    I have one. Want to borrow it?
    If you are pissed at a dog for keeping you awake with its barking, it's not because you disagree with what it's saying. -- Rikki

Thanks, but I should look for a copy of my own.