Page 222 of 222 FirstFirst ... 122172212220221222
Results 2,211 to 2,219 of 2219

Thread: You might be a Knox Countian if...

Bean on yet more ways McIntyre (and more broadly, TN's GOP SuperMajority!) sucks, and Clark comes out of the cold, cramped and nasty GOP closet long enough to tout Democrat Gloria Johnson.
    Sun sets, night falls, sun shines, day calls, work fine, rest deep, rejoice, prayers keep

Sun sets, night falls, sun shines, day calls, work fine, rest deep, rejoice, prayers keep

I am sad beyond words about this. It really is a tragedy. Bruce did so much good for his clients and his community. Many will judge him for the vice in his conduct leading up to these charges. But I am here to tell you he had a big heart and he leaves behind a slew of people who knew him, admired him and loved him despite his flaws. I knew him personally. He was so ashamed and sorry, he never expected forgiveness and I think he died in real anguish.

Default Well said

Quote Originally Posted by Hildegard View Post
    I am sad beyond words about this. It really is a tragedy. Bruce did so much good for his clients and his community. Many will judge him for the vice in his conduct leading up to these charges. But I am here to tell you he had a big heart and he leaves behind a slew of people who knew him, admired him and loved him despite his flaws. I knew him personally. He was so ashamed and sorry, he never expected forgiveness and I think he died in real anguish.
    He inspired my daughter to pursue a career in indigent defense when she interned for him last summer. He gave the same high level of representation and passion no matter the ability to pay. He was so kind to me in my years of covering his cases, and his family are just good people. Great lawyer. Good man. I will miss him.

Kinda funny. Vapid Idiot Smith, that is, vapid Eddie Smith, GOP candidate for TN district 13, has PACs backing him who decided to drag sports into politics by sending out a flyer fatuously comparing Smith's opponent, Gloria Johnson, to ex-Vols coach & vapid idiot Lane Kiffin. In return, KNS sports columnist John Adams brings Smith into his column.

Adams: A Lane Kiffin campaign for political gain

Quote Originally Posted by SnM View Post
    Kinda funny. Vapid Idiot Smith, that is, vapid Eddie Smith, GOP candidate for TN district 13, has PACs backing him who decided to drag sports into politics by sending out a flyer fatuously comparing Smith's opponent, Gloria Johnson, to ex-Vols coach & vapid idiot Lane Kiffin. In return, KNS sports columnist John Adams brings Smith into his column.

Adams: A Lane Kiffin campaign for political gain

Direct mail attack likening Democratic state rep to Lane Kiffin backfiring?

Your Kiffin roundup

Quote Originally Posted by SnM View Post
    This part seems pretty illogical to me:

Amendment 2 … will make it easier for a partisan governor to seat judges based not on their judicial scholarship, but on their politics. It could also set up the kind of partisan and ideological stalemates we’ve seen in Washington, D.C., when Republicans block every judicial appointment made by President Obama.
    Maybe he's not buying that the failure of Amendment 2 will lead to popular elections of appellate judges (as most expect it to,) but I don't see how Amendment 2 makes it easier for a partisan governor to disregard merit and make purely political appointments. If anything, the addition of the legislative approval process to what is essentially the same appointment system that has served our state well for decades will theoretically make it HARDER for a governor to play politics in his/her appointments.

As for the "stalemate' argument, unlike the federal system he compares it to, a quick perusal of Amendment 2 would have revealed to him that it includes a time limit for legislative approval.

At any rate, the failure of Amendment 2 could very well lead to popular election of appellate judges, which would turn our current merit system into a pure political system. And that would be bad for everyone in our state.

Quote Originally Posted by bird jam View Post
    This part seems pretty illogical to me:

Maybe he's not buying that the failure of Amendment 2 will lead to popular elections of appellate judges (as most expect it to,) but I don't see how Amendment 2 makes it easier for a partisan governor to disregard merit and make purely political appointments. If anything, the addition of the legislative approval process to what is essentially the same appointment system that has served our state well for decades will theoretically make it HARDER for a governor to play politics in his/her appointments.

As for the "stalemate' argument, unlike the federal system he compares it to, a quick perusal of Amendment 2 would have revealed to him that it includes a time limit for legislative approval.

At any rate, the failure of Amendment 2 could very well lead to popular election of appellate judges, which would turn our current merit system into a pure political system. And that would be bad for everyone in our state.
    I was accused last night (by a fellow progressive) of "abdicating my responsibilities as a citizen" for advocating for a "yes" vote on amendment 2. I'm not wild about the amendment, but I greatly fear the alternative, so if voting yes is an "abdication" I can live with it.
    If you are pissed at a dog for keeping you awake with its barking, it's not because you disagree with what it's saying. -- Rikki