Thread: Knox County e-waste

Default Knox County e-waste

Oh Blab Oracle of old: What does Knox County do with its e-waste? Like if I drop off a HUGE ASS, old school CRT television where does it end up? Please tell me not off Raccoon Valley Road.

But, if it they do simply send it to the dump, what alternatives are there in Knoxville? Thrift stores don't/won"t take CRT televisions anymore.
    "True that a plant may not think; neither will the profoundest of men ever put forth a flower."
    ― Donald Culross Peattie

I guess this goes to Knoxville as well. Large e-waste if collected at the HHW facility for both entities. (And you thought they were separate governments.)
    "True that a plant may not think; neither will the profoundest of men ever put forth a flower."
    ― Donald Culross Peattie

Blog Entries

You can take it to the Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility @ Baxter & I-275. I hope this means they don't drop it in the landfill. I put mine on the curb and assume (hope) the same rules applied.

Knox County residential household electronic waste disposal locations:

Dutchtown Drop-off Center – 10618 Dutchtown Road
    Halls Drop-off Center – 3608 Neal Road
    John Sevier Drop-off Center – 1950 West John Sevier Highway
    Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Facility –See the HHW website or call 215-6700 for more information.

Items accepted at Dutchtown, Halls and John Sevier Drop-off Centers: Computer equipment, PC systems, CPUs, monitors, mice, keyboards, printers, scanners, laptops, modems, hard drives, speakers, power cords, cables, phones, powers strips, desktop copiers, fax machines, cell phones and small TVs (ONLY televisions 27 inches or smaller).

Items NOT accepted at any Knox County Drop-off Center: Large TVs over 27”, console TVs, big-screen TVs, rear-projection TVs and electronics containing hazardous chemicals such as lab equipment, dehumidifiers, refrigerators or A/C units. Most of these items are accepted at the HHW Facility or as trash at the Transfer Station. Visit the HHW website or call 215-6700 for more information.
    sudo open the pod bay doors, HAL.

Yes, I know. I was hoping for info on what they do with e-waste. If it goes to the landfill, I will look for other options.
    ― Donald Culross Peattie

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Hillian View Post
    Yes, I know. I was hoping for info on what they do with e-waste. If it goes to the landfill, I will look for other options.
    Across from Costco in Farragut on Kingston Pike they take e-waste. It goes to a chipper company and does not end up in the dump or ground water. CRT's, tube TV's, computers, all of it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Hillian View Post
    Scott Recycling takes such stuff and breaks it down to sell pieces/parts off to reprocessing companies or recycle or refurbish.
    Here: The place where we're all at.
    Now: The only time to be in.
    Being: What is here now.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Scott Recycling takes such stuff and breaks it down to sell pieces/parts off to reprocessing companies or recycle or refurbish.
    I think that is who gets the recycling from the place across from Costco.

Blog Entries

These guys say they'll come pick it up for free:
    http://www.ecycle-today.com/
    sudo open the pod bay doors, HAL.

Thanks! I'll give them a call.
    ― Donald Culross Peattie