Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Day Is an OK Day for Five Picks (Wednesday 5 Memorial Thread)

Default Any Day Is an OK Day for Five Picks (Wednesday 5 Memorial Thread)

In loving memory of the weekly Wednesday 5 threads, an anytime/anyplace thread for music you are digging.

I'll start it by noting the publication of the annual Pazz Jop poll, which gave album of the year honors to D'Angelo's Black Messiah.

I'm fine with that pick. For all the hip hype, it's a great album. I'm not the world's biggest Voodoo fan (I like it, respect it) so I was legitimately surprised by this one. In comparison, Black Messiah is looser, messier, grimier, and better for it. It's not quite true that it's a better Prince album than Prince released in 2014 -- it's too much its own thing. But it is definitely a better album, period, than Prince (or nearly anyone) released in 2014.

Here's a guy I only found out about via the Bonnaroo lineup reveal, Benjamin Booker. (He has an album out, called Benjamin Booker.) He's got kind of a soul/blues/garage punk thing, I think he'll be fun to see live.

Just today got the new Dawn Richard album, Blackheart, which is at least the best album of 2015 so far, and will be hard to beat. It has some thematic continuity with her last one, Goldenheart -- mythological reference points (this time it's songs called "'Titans," "Phoenix," "Warriors" and "Castles"), futuristic R&B settings. But this one is wilder and weirder, full of electronic left turns and off-kilter song structures, and warmer at the same time. Like if Rihanna made a Bjork album, or vice-versa. She's a trip.

I loved the Rae Sremmurd singles from last year, and the album (SremmLife) lives up to them. They are young and ridiculous, and they are having a lot of fun. (If I wasn't already on board, this interview would have done it.

Swae Lee: It’s like, “You’re my ex, but you’re playing.” It’s like the video for this is going to be crazy. It’s going to be not normal take you out to eat. We’re going to be out in space or something crazy.

Slim Jimmy: I’m going to be with my girl in space, then we’re going to go and play baseball.

Swae Lee: Let’s go to Applebee's. It’s going to be something crazy. Like, what’s crazy? I love Applebee's. Maybe jet skis. Maybe go to space. We have to make a video for this one.
    Last edited by jfm; 01-15-2015 at 11:27 PM.

Gerard Way (ex-My Chemical Romance) put out a good solo album last year that didn't get a whole lot of attention. Too bad, it's good -- it hits a nice power-pop/Britpop sweet spot. (Yes I know he is not actually British.)

Blog Entries

“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”

Thanks y'all. That was nice.
    In the wardrobe of my soul, you're the section labeled shirts. - Canyons of your mind, Bonzo Dog Band.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
    2007 winning entry from an annual contest at Texas A&M University calling for the most appropriate definition of a contemporary term.

Blog Entries

“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”

Blog Entries

Here: The place where we're all at.
    Now: The only time to be in.
    Being: What is here now.

Blog Entries