Thread: Changes

Default Changes

I got on one of those tangential link-clicking trips, and it wound up on the finer points of name changes. After reading a whole ton (by casual Internet standards) on the matter, I'm still left with two unanswered questions:

1. As a citizen of Knoxville, Tennessee, what would I have to do to change my name from Ian Blackburn to Can Of Soup, and is this handled at the municipal, state or federal level?

2. What prevents me from unilaterally declaring that from this moment forward, my name is Can Of Soup?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I got on one of those tangential link-clicking trips, and it wound up on the finer points of name changes. After reading a whole ton (by casual Internet standards) on the matter, I'm still left with two unanswered questions:

1. As a citizen of Knoxville, Tennessee, what would I have to do to change my name from Ian Blackburn to Can Of Soup, and is this handled at the municipal, state or federal level?

2. What prevents me from unilaterally declaring that from this moment forward, my name is Can Of Soup?
    My dearest Can,

1. It appears you have to petition for a court order from Knox County Circuit Court. There are restrictions. And ramifications (don't know what the deal would be for Social Security, for example). Get a lawyer.

2. Nothing, but legally it would be just a nickname. I prefer Monkey for you myself, but if you want me to call you Can, I can.

As Scott said, you file a petition. Once you have an order from the court changing your name, you can get government documents with the new name, e.g., driver's license, etc. I would suggest Can of (Low Tax) Soup.

Or you can always just tell folks that your name, "Can of Soup," is spelled I-a-n--B-l-a-c-k-b-u-r-n.
    Sun sets, night falls, sun shines, day calls, work fine, rest deep, rejoice, prayers keep

As the Can of Soup, you will be on par (or on the plate?) with the Earl of Sandwich. That trip to London appears to have been a life-changer.

Quote Originally Posted by SnM View Post
    Or you can always just tell folks that your name, "Can of Soup," is spelled I-a-n--B-l-a-c-k-b-u-r-n.
    It's pronounced "Ian Blackburn."
    ~m.
    When you do things right. people won't be sure that you've done anything at all.