Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If this is the Blab, where is your Movie Thread?

Default If this is the Blab, where is your Movie Thread?

We used to have one of these a month, now no one can even be bothered at all. I understand. Everybody's busy. And with a summer offering the marginal highlights of the second Apes movie and Guardians of the Galaxy (saw them both, they were fine), maybe there's just not enough to talk about.

Anyway, here are some things I watched recently that I liked.

Frances Ha, which came out a year or two ago (it's on Netflix).

Twenty years on from Kicking and Screaming, Noah Baumbach's still mining post-collegiate malaise -- but he's blessed this time with Greta Gerwig (star and co-writer), who makes the heroine into something more than a Brooklyn wannabe cliche. Or at least makes her a self-aware Brooklyn wannabe cliche. The movie is smart enough to get away with being lovable, and lovable enough to get away with being smart.
    Last edited by jfm; 09-01-2014 at 11:45 PM.

Boyhood

I was looking forward to this because I even like the Richard Linklater movies that other people don't like (Waking Life, exhibit A). And it's good. It's probably great. It's not all great -- there were stretches I either didn't buy or just wasn't that interested in -- but cumulatively it's remarkable. And it has enough classic specific scenes that it will be a touchstone for years to come. It also suggests all sorts of interesting things about how you can make a movie (especially now, with equipment and production so cheap).

Kill List

My first exposure to Ben Wheatley, I obviously need to see more. Hard to talk about without spoilers -- and if you have trouble with South Yorkshire accents, you'll want to turn it up. (It's also on Netflix.) But it's a really good, surprising, ugly movie. Part crime thriller, part horror, part post-battlefield drama. I have a whole theory worked out about it, but can only really be talked about with those who have seen it. Anyone with a low tolerance for violence is warned away -- this is basically a movie about violence. I think what's there is there for a reason, but that doesn't make it easy to watch. NB: There are people who think it all falls apart at the end. I think that's where it all comes together. YMMV.
    Last edited by jfm; 09-02-2014 at 12:00 AM.

Oh, and Under the Skin.

Great, ambiguous sci-fi film. Moody, spooky, sad. ScarJo completely convincing as whatever exactly she's supposed to be.

Blog Entries

I watched an old Michael Douglas thriller called The Game last night. When it came out I was in the throes of Michael Douglas fatigue and didn't see it. It was surprisingly good, although the ending felt audience-tested.

Finally saw the second Hobbit movie. It was on HBO. Boy am I glad I decided against seeing them in the theater on principle. It was ok but just a setup for the third one. Three movies to cover one book. Damn.
    In the wardrobe of my soul, you're the section labeled shirts. - Canyons of your mind, Bonzo Dog Band.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
    2007 winning entry from an annual contest at Texas A&M University calling for the most appropriate definition of a contemporary term.

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Boyhood

I was looking forward to this because I even like the Richard Linklater movies that other people don't like (Waking Life, exhibit A). And it's good. It's probably great. It's not all great -- there were stretches I either didn't buy or just wasn't that interested in -- but cumulatively it's remarkable. And it has enough classic specific scenes that it will be a touchstone for years to come. It also suggests all sorts of interesting things about how you can make a movie (especially now, with equipment and production so cheap).
    I really look forward to seeing this. His interview a few weeks ago about making it over the last 15-20 years was really interesting. I liked Waking Life too.

Oh, and Under the Skin.

Great, ambiguous sci-fi film. Moody, spooky, sad. ScarJo completely convincing as whatever exactly she's supposed to be.
    It's interesting that - in spite of Ms. Johannson's starring role that this flew WAY under the radar. Almost no one I know even knows that the film exists. We saw on a Saturday night at Downtown West and almost no one was there. It's a fascinating film. Kind of a female companion to The Man Who Fell to Earth, distilled into almost a pure mood piece with no clear plot.

I might add that Under the Skin has a pretty great soundtrack by Mica Levi aka Micachu and the Shapes.

Oh, and Under the Skin.

ScarJo? Is that something like TaySwi? If you can't muster the appropriate level of veneration, at least show some respect.