Blog Entries

Default Nuthin' but snow - a TV thread

Eunice gave up on Season 4, but this might bring her around:

Downton the Hatch Drinking Game Rules:
    1. Drink whenever a bell rings
    2. Drink whenever Robert is upset by something he reads in the paper
    3. Drink whenever Mrs. Patmore yells at Daisy
    4. Drink anytime someone from upstairs appears downstairs
    5. Take 2 drinks any time Anna somehow turns “Bates” into a two syllable word
    6. Drink anytime anyone on the show drinks
    7. Drink anytime Lady Mary raises her eyebrows and keep drinking until they are lowered to their natural position
    8-27. http://downton-the-hatch.tumblr.com/masterlist
    sudo open the pod bay doors, HAL.

Blog Entries

Why not just drink and cut out the middleman?

Blog Entries

Eunice says everyone has to stand up and drink for #4.

On the positive side, the new season of Justified premiers tonight after my bedtime.
    sudo open the pod bay doors, HAL.

My wife watches the show but I don't. I'll tell her about the drinking game.
    In the wardrobe of my soul, you're the section labeled shirts. - Canyons of your mind, Bonzo Dog Band.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
    2007 winning entry from an annual contest at Texas A&M University calling for the most appropriate definition of a contemporary term.

i've been clearing some long-queued tv lately.

doctor who (rebooted series 1 thru 6) - finally found my way into this, and his name is christopher eccleston. and then david tennant kicks it up a notch (okay, a couple notches). and matt smith is fine, but i find amy pond stupefyingly, distractingly attractive. after years of having a handful of the just plain awful "classic" doctor who episodes as my only reference, i'm excited to see the premise live up to its potential. more please.

torchwood (series 1 thru 4) - this, on the other hand, is mostly terrible. watchable, yes, but really pretty dumb.

maron (season 1) - i suppose i'm what is known as a "whatthefucker," so i was pleased to see this turn out so good. it's no louie (a comparison that is a little unfair and a lot inevitable), but it's got a groove all its own that i look forward to seeing more of.

peep show (series 1) - pretty good, but i'm not devoted yet. i think someone told me this really picks up in the second series.

arrow (season 2) - damned if this ain't turning into a half-decent superhero show. the first season was bogged down by the standard insufferable cw teen soap opera plotting and acting, and there's still plenty of that lingering, but they really found a rhythm, and some of the action setpieces are among the best on tv.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    Eunice gave up on Season 4, but this might bring her around:

Downton the Hatch Drinking Game Rules:
    1. Drink whenever a bell rings
    2. Drink whenever Robert is upset by something he reads in the paper
    3. Drink whenever Mrs. Patmore yells at Daisy
    4. Drink anytime someone from upstairs appears downstairs
    5. Take 2 drinks any time Anna somehow turns “Bates” into a two syllable word
    6. Drink anytime anyone on the show drinks
    7. Drink anytime Lady Mary raises her eyebrows and keep drinking until they are lowered to their natural position
    8-27. http://downton-the-hatch.tumblr.com/masterlist
    heh, with those rules most people will be wasted and/or passed out before the show is even half over.
    “Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”

Quote Originally Posted by jeffx View Post
    but i find amy pond stupefyingly, distractingly attractive.
    She is indeed, but the newest - Clara Oswald by Jenna Coleman? hubba hubba.
    Last edited by spinetingler; 01-08-2014 at 09:05 PM.
    http://audioarchives.blogspot.com

Where odd audio errata, ephemeralities, and nonsense occasionally collide with actual music for serious contemplation. Trouble is - I'm not saying what is which.

Blog Entries

I spent a good part of the holidays glued to The Killing, a murder mystery that unfolds over two seasons of shows. Quite compelling. It's on Netflix.

Edit - there's a third season that involves a serial killer and apparently Netflix has picked it up for a fourth season.
    Last edited by Johnny Ringo; 01-08-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Luther -- I'm having a hard time coming up with another show where there's such a gaping chasm between great acting & great dialogue vs astoundingly cockamamie plots. Also, Idris Elba's rumored consideration as the 12th Doctor sure would have taken that show in a different direction. On the other hand, his rumored consideration as the next Bond seems a pretty good fit.
    Last edited by Mykhailo; 01-09-2014 at 12:40 AM.

The only television I'm watching right now is Dracula. It's almost a guilty pleasure considering how much derision it's gathered from the critics, fans, and goth like people in general. I can't quality it as a guilty pleasure because I see nothing wrong with it.

As in nothing. Positively nothing is wrong with it. The scenery is eat 'em up gorgeous. This is London as a dream setting, this is civilization as a lush romance, this is just the most awesome of awesome camera angles. I speak of scenery first because that's the part that grabbed me heart first.

And second is the characters. Confession: Bram Stroker's original Dracula is a Bore. Capital Bore because it's so important to realize that. The motifs are ok, Dracula is the interloper, Van Helsing is the gutso man of science, harker is the....pretty boy? Something like that. So good characters motifs, good premise, but it's all slipped out to hell as we lose track of the namesake of the book. Honestly you open up with some of the tightest written bits of horror and then like that Dracula is gone and we're left with the letters of English middle class. Immensely boring.

So for any adaptation to work the characters have to be amped. They have to be reworked. Dracula can no longer be a fellow behind the curtain but the main actor taking all of the bows. The humans have to work hard just to play catch up. The latest television adaption works for that. Dracula is now a chameleon in revenge against industrial prit prats. Reinfield is his assistant, a capable man transformed from a blood slave. The Order of the Dragon is transformed into a control mongering society bent on Christianity as Empire.

So the people are good, the scenes, are good, and the themes are extraordinary. The one major theme through horror art and literature is the Other; capitalized because it's that damn of a staple. The Other is the idea that something different from our own is out there, and it is dangerous. Vampires, zombies, gigantic creatures, dark demons from space, it's all based all the idea that outside the sacred circle of our hearth are dark beings out to destroy us. Problem with that old saw is that it's old. Very old and counter to how civilization is running now. While their are still fears of the outsider, fear and hatred of Muslims for example. it has become a new powerful meme to embrace the idea of being an outsider.

Meaning? Dracula in the television series knows that he is an outsider, knows that he is like no other creature on earth. He uses that knowledge to empower himself. And not just Dracula but the other character are defined by their ability to celebrate their uniqueness. Mina is a woman in training to be a doctor, knowing how unconventional this is in her time period. Her fiance Johnathan is seen as bit of a twit partly because he can not settle with his working class background. Reinfeld is a stout black man from America who relishes shocking anyone who underestimate him. The wireless energy that Dracula promises is a direct torpedo against the conventionality of the fossil fuel loving Order of the Dragon.

Theme? This.

"So What? Two words. Guaranteed to repel any manner of mediocrity masquerading as conventional wisdom."

... the debt that each generation owes to the past, it must pay to the future."
    ~ Abigail Scott Dunaway

Works on the Creative Commons by me. Go ahead, steal something. Now with pictures!
    http://celestial-dung.deviantart.com/