Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Daughter of Watcha Readin?

Default Daughter of Watcha Readin?

The Dude and the Zen Master.

Love it. Much to my surprise.
    "Sometimes a stick in the eye is a tool for enlightenment, but mostly not." Manfred Minsk

Textbooks. And journal articles.

Looking forward to Dec. when I can do some light reading again.
    If you are pissed at a dog for keeping you awake with its barking, it's not because you disagree with what it's saying. -- Rikki

I finished a history of Pre-Columbian Chinese exploration in Africa (fascinating stuff) and Richard West's biography of Tito. I'm about halfway through Scheener's killer history of the Balfour Declaration. Some of the best written history ever. On the night table is a book I am reviewing for a journal called "On Baltic Slovenia and Adriatic Lithuania" which is a boring as it sounds. To cleanse the palate afterward, I am tackling a writing project on copper plate prints and maps for a journal article and a big fat read of Massie's biography of Catherine the Great.
    Toby is a species. -- Rikki

Blog Entries

Man there's some heavy shit on here.

Uh, A Confederacy of Dunces. Again.
    Here: The place where we're all at.
    Now: The only time to be in.
    Being: What is here now.

Read an old Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin that I picked up at a library sale a while back. It was fair, not wonderful. Before that I read an anthology that I'm part of, Tennessee Women of Vision and Courage, features 22 historical Tennessee women. There will be a reception for it at the East Tennessee History Center on Dec. 8. I'll post more about it then. Great stories from Sam Houston's mother to Evelyn "Mama Bird" Johnson of Morristown.

A book Bob Dole "wrote" collecting humorous sayings from (mostly) Presidents and Presidential hopefuls.
    http://audioarchives.blogspot.com

Where odd audio errata, ephemeralities, and nonsense occasionally collide with actual music for serious contemplation. Trouble is - I'm not saying what is which.

Quote Originally Posted by spinetingler View Post
    A book Bob Dole "wrote" collecting humorous sayings from (mostly) Presidents and Presidential hopefuls.
    I met Bob Dole in 1996 and interviewed him for the Daily Beacon. He was extremely nice and actually funny. My interview got dropped from the "election coverage" because Clinton, but I came away from it realizing he was too decent to be a politician. I interviewed Fred Thompson the next day. That dude is a prick with ears.
    Toby is a species. -- Rikki

Blog Entries

"the individual and the cosmos in renaissance philosophy" by Ernst Cassirer. I'm re-embarking on my theology, reformation, renaissance, enlightenment review again.

Also started Rene Girards "violence and the sacred" and Phillip goodchilds "theology of money".

Josh Ramey (author of hermetic deleuze) is coming out with a book called "on divination" I am super excited to get holt of.
    Strawberry plains ferever

Blog Entries

Texts.

Quote Originally Posted by toby View Post
    I met Bob Dole in 1996 and interviewed him for the Daily Beacon. He was extremely nice and actually funny. My interview got dropped from the "election coverage" because Clinton, but I came away from it realizing he was too decent to be a politician.
    I got that impression from the book, as well.
    http://audioarchives.blogspot.com

Where odd audio errata, ephemeralities, and nonsense occasionally collide with actual music for serious contemplation. Trouble is - I'm not saying what is which.