Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: You might be a Republican if...

Of course, Common Core opponents come from across the political spectrum, but leave it to another GOP dunderhead to cite the most awesome reason of all to oppose it (via KnoxViews), which is that it will "attract every one of your children to become as homosexual as they possibly can."
    Sun sets, night falls, sun shines, day calls, work fine, rest deep, rejoice, prayers keep

When even the most gunniest of gunners are gunnin' agin' your gunniness, maybe it's time to ease back on the hammer, switch the safety on and turn tail and git home? (via KnoxViews)

But, no-ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Some gungulates just won't stop.

Chili's, Sonic turn away gun-toting activists
    Sun sets, night falls, sun shines, day calls, work fine, rest deep, rejoice, prayers keep

Quote Originally Posted by SnM View Post
    When even the most gunniest of gunners are gunnin' agin' your gunniness, maybe it's time to ease back on the hammer, switch the safety on and turn tail and git home? (via KnoxViews)

Gun Activists Cut Up NRA Member Cards Over Criticism Of AR-15s In Restaurants

Good thing they're only cutting up their NRA cards and not trying to blast them to bits. Still, this thing could escalate into a circular firing squad.

And where are all of TN's gun crazies? Why aren't they in the lead on this? How can Sen. May Beavers, R-Happiness Is a Warm Gun You'll Only Pry from My Cold, Dead Hands, let Texas's gungulates grab all the glory on this?

And besides, don't the gunnuts need their weapons to subdue their meals? Aren't those SuperSonic Breakfast Burritoes the World's Most Dangerous Fast Food Game?

Gun Activists Cut Up NRA Member Cards Over Criticism Of AR-15s In Restaurants

Good thing they're only cutting up their NRA cards and not trying to blast them to bits. Still, this thing could escalate into a circular firing squad.

And where are all of TN's gun crazies? Why aren't they in the lead on this? How can Sen. May Beavers, R-Happiness Is a Warm Gun You'll Only Pry from My Cold, Dead Hands, let Texas's gungulates grab all the glory on this?

And besides, don't the gunnuts need their weapons to subdue their meals? Aren't those SuperSonic Breakfast Burritos the World's Most Dangerous Fast Food Game?
    If you can't stand the heat, get over your bitchin'. The NRA surrenders to the gungulates. The GOP must be bursting with pride.

Blog Entries

Feb 18:
    MCCAIN: Well, at that time the proposal was that they would release -- Taliban, some of them really hard-core, particularly five really hard-core Taliban leaders, as a confidence- building measure. Now this idea is for an exchange of prisoners for our American fighting man. I would be inclined to support such a thing depending on a lot of the details.
    [...]
    COOPER: So if there was some -- the possibility of some sort of exchange, that's something you would support?
    MCCAIN: I would support. Obviously I'd have to know the details, but I would support ways of bringing him home and if exchange was one of them I think that would be something I think we should seriously consider.
    Today:
    Sen. John McCain (R-AZ), a former prisoner of war in Vietnam, said Tuesday that the prisoner swap executed by the Obama administration to bring Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl home from captivity in Afghanistan was a "mistake."

"This decision to bring Sgt. Bergdahl home -- and we applaud that he is home -- is ill-founded. It is a mistake," McCain said during a Senate Republicans press conference on Veterans Affairs reform. "And it is putting the lives of American servicemen and women at risk and that, to me, is unacceptable to the American people."
    sudo open the pod bay doors, HAL.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    Feb 18:

Today:
    Of course this is an hypocrisy-rich environment. For example, the President, who campaigned against signing statements, now relies on a signing statement as justification for violating the law he signed requiring 30 days notice to Congress before releasing any Guantanamo prisoners.

And in related news, Jay Carney apparently doesn't have any more lying left in him.
    Last edited by Johnny Ringo; 06-04-2014 at 12:12 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
    Of course this is an hypocrisy-rich environment. For example, the President, who campaigned against signing statements, now relies on a signing statement as justification for violating the law he signed requiring 30 days notice to Congress before releasing any Guantanamo prisoners.

And in related news, Jay Carney apparently doesn't have any more lying left in him.
    What is the record duration of an official WH liar?

To be fair to Obama on signing statements, he has limited them to cases of unconstitutional overreach by the legislature. I suspect he's right on this one, but it would have to go the the Supreme Court where he'd get shut down 5-4.

Blog Entries

Maybe we need a "This Week in Hypocrisy" thread. We've got Cheney claiming that Obama is hurting the reputation of the US abroad and Ollie North outraged that Obama would cut a deal for hostages.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    To be fair to Obama on signing statements, he has limited them to cases of unconstitutional overreach by the legislature. I suspect he's right on this one, but it would have to go the the Supreme Court where he'd get shut down 5-4.
    That was Bush's rationale too. To be fair to Bush, he didn't claim to be a constitutional scholar. And he didn't actively campaign against signing statements. If Obama has now adopted the "unitary executive"theory, somewhere Dick Cheney is smiling.
    Last edited by Johnny Ringo; 06-04-2014 at 03:13 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Ringo View Post
    That was Bush's rationale too. To be fair to Bush, he didn't claim to be a constitutional scholar. And he didn't actively campaign against signing statements.
    Obama signing statements: http://www.coherentbabble.com/listBHOall.htm
    Bush's list: http://www.coherentbabble.com/listGWBall.htm

Three issues:
    * The legal weight of signing statements
    * The constitutionality of the 30-day-review provision
    * The sudden Republican concern over this kind of thing while the wrong guy is in the White House.

The only action I remember taken on signing statements was Bush authorizing torture and now Obama swapping hostages, but there must have been more. Has any of it been tested in the courts?
    CSM has a piece on it today, but they don't really answer the headline question: http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Deco...Was-it-illegal